Below, we have outlined all of the frequently asked questions we receive about Chinese Sky Lanterns. If you do not see your question answered below, be sure to Contact Us so we can try to help you get the answers you need before you place an order.
How big are Sky Lanterns?
- 44 In Tall * 24 In wide at the top* 16 In wide at the bottom (Sky Lanterns)
- 72 In Tall * 36 In wide at the top* 36 In wide at the bottom (Giant Lanterns)
- 5 In Tall * 11 In wide * 11 In wide (Water Lanterns)
What are the guidelines to launch Sky Lanterns?
- Only launch in dry, calm, windless conditions.
- Only launch in open spaces, far away from airports, buildings, and overhead objects.
- Launch away from dry crops, woodlands, and plants.
- Please have a fire extinguisher and water close by for safety purposes.
- Please do not use any damaged Lanterns. This includes lanterns with holes, tears, and or rips
How do I Launch them?
- Remove the Sky Lantern from the plastic sleeve and carefully unfold it.
- Fill the Sky Lantern with air by gently swaying it in the air back and forth.
- Hold the Lantern from the top, in a fully extended upright position, at an arms length away.
- Have a helper light the fuel cell, which is pre-attached, until it has been fully lit.
- Please hold the lantern upright for 30-90 seconds while the hot air inflates the lantern.
- When you feel the lantern starting to rise, please guide the lantern while you release it.
- Make a wish and enjoy!
What are Sky Lanterns made of?
- The Lanterns are all hand made. They are composed of rice paper, a fuel cell, a bamboo ring (wire free) and a non-flammable string to support the fuel cell. The Rice paper and the string are flame retardant for safety!
Are they Biodegradable and Eco Friendly?
- Yes, our lanterns are 100% Bio Degradable and Eco Friendly!
Eco-Friendly vs. Standard Sky Lanterns
- The majority of manufacture’s use asbestos based chemicals to hold the fuel cell in place because it is cheaper to manufacture. Also, the majority of manufactures use metal wires to construct their lanterns. Our lanterns use no asbestos products; only use bamboo for structural support, and a non-wax fuel cell, which make our lanterns 100% Biodegradable.
What is the fuel cell made of?
- The fuel cell for the small lanterns is composed of brown paper and paraffin, the giant lantern fuel cell is composed of Rib paper and paraffin
- This burns up completely and self extinguishes before the lantern falls back to earth.
What is paraffin?
- Paraffin is a flammable, whitish, translucent, solid consisting of a mixture of saturated hydrocarbons, obtained by distillation from petroleum or shale and used in candles, cosmetics, polishes, and sealing and waterproofing compounds
- Check out this page for more info: (More Info)
How long do they stay lit for?
- The Fuel cells stay light for 8-10 minutes depending on atmospheric conditions
Is the Fuel Cell attached?
- Yes, the fuel cell is attached and ready to launch right out of the package.
Do they require any assembly?
- No, they do not require any assembly.
How far will they travel?
- This depends entirely on the wind. On VERY calm days you can light them and the lanterns will come back down within 50 feet of where you are standing. But if there are winds then the lantern will travel at the same velocity and direction as the wind for the duration that it is airborne.
How high will they go?
- They typically reach about 3,000 feet high and can reach heights of 5,000 feet in cold environments.
How much wind is too much wind?
- We do not recommend lighting the lanterns off with more than 3 MPH of wind.
Will I get the sky lanterns back?
- If the wind is very calm or nonexistent, then yes you can get them back if they fall close enough to where you lit them off.
Are they a fire hazard or risk?
- Anything that has fire or has to do with fire can be considered hazardous. They only become a risk if they are lit off in unappreciated places or in unappreciated wind conditions.
Can 1 person light them by themselves?
- Yes, one person can light them off by themselves, however we recommend that you have a partner to assist you for safety purposes.
What colors do they come in?
- They come in White, Yellow, Blue, Orange, Purple, Pink, Green, and Red. (Sky Lanterns)
- They come in White, Pink, Purple, and Red (Water Lanterns)
- They come in White, Orange, and Red (Giant Lanterns)
How many do I need to order?
- This depends on what you are using them for? If you are using the sky lanterns for a wedding then we suggest that you order at least one for every person that will be attending the wedding!
Do you need permits to light them?
- You do not need a permit to light sky lanterns, however you may want to check with your local municipality just in case.
Do I need permission from the local fire Department to light them?
- If you are having a big event and lighting lots of lanterns its not a bad idea for safety reasons to check with your local fire department prior to using them.
Are they Legal in all states?
- They are legal in Most States. We recommend that you check with you local fire dept before lighting them.
Should I light them near an airport?
- We do not recommend lighting them near an airport because they can cause confusion among pilots trying to take off and land. We recommend that you stay at least 10 miles from major airports.
What happens after the fuel cell goes out?
- After the fuel cell burns out completely the lantern then falls back to the earth.
How long does it take for them to disintegrate after flight?
- The rice paper will completely dissolve after it gets wet in a matter of days. All that remains after that is the bamboo ring and a string, which are both, made of 100 % organic material.
Do I need to light them over water?
- You can light them over water, but you do NOT need to light them over water. They are appropriate to light over water or land.
Are they hand made?
- Yes, they are all hand made!
Do you offer discounts on larger orders?
- If you are a reseller, or have a large private party that you would like to supply lanterns for, please fill out the form on our contact page and a representative will contact you and assist you with a wholesale discount.
Do you accept Purchase Orders?
Yes, we can set up purchase orders with clients that order more than 1000 lanterns a month and we require that the first 3 months be paid in full prior to accepting our clients purchase orders.
We do accept Debit and Credit Cards on the site for customers that are wanting to set up this option.
Do you charge Sales Tax?
- We Only charge sales tax if your order is shipped to an address in Missouri. We are not obligated to charge sales tax on orders that are located outside of Missouri. Since we are located in Missouri we only are required to charge sales tax to customers that order and have their packages delivered with the same state that we reside. (Missouri) All other orders (outside of Missouri) are processed and shipped without sales tax.
Can I store them?
- Yes, You can store All of the Lanterns and products that we sell. They all have a shelf life over 1 year. We recommend that you store them at room temperature and out of the direct sunlight.
How long does shipping take?
- All orders are shipped either USPS Priority Mail (2-3 days) or UPS ground for larger order. Orders typically ship in 1 business day, but due to our excessively large order volume, please allow up to 2 weeks to process your order.
How long does it take to process my order before it is shipped?
- Orders typically ship in 1 business day, but due to our excessively large order volume, please allow up to 2 weeks to process your order.
Do you offer overnight shipping?
- Currently we do have options on the site for overnight shipping! However, since we are receiving excessively large order volumes, we can not gaurenee overnight shipping so we do NOT recommend using that shipping option at this time.
Can you expedite my shipping?
- We currently are not offering expediting shipping do to the high volume of orders
Do you ship to Canada?
- YES, We can ship to Canada but do not offer it as an option on the website. Please contact us for more infomation about shipping to Canada.
Can I track my package after I order?
- All orders are processed and shipped within 1 business day. If you would like a tracking number please fill out the contact form or reply to your original order email asking for the status of your order. We will then email you, your tracking number. Please note that we will need your name and order # to be able to provide you with your tracking number.
What happens if my order does not arrive?
- The only way this can happen is if you give us the wrong address. We print off our labels exactly as you enter them into the fields. If your package hasn’t arrived yet, check the tracking number or fill out our contact form to find out where your package is?
Do you accept returns?
- Yes, if you wish to return your lanterns, we will refund your order in full. However, you, the purchaser is responsible for both the return shipping, and the initial shipping expenses to your designated address.
Can we take them on a Airplane with us?
- Yes, You can take them with you on airplanes. There is NO harmful material and most people claim them as Wedding Decorations. You may want to check them like you would a bag, but you can carry them on as well if you like.
Can you/we ship them to our destination outside of the United States?
- Yes, you have 2 options for this. We can ship them to your Home (within the US) and you can then ship them to your destination of choice (we recommend this way to all of our customers). The other option that you have would be for us ship them to your destination for you but we would not be responsible for any lost or stolen packages shipped outside of the United states. (We do not recommend this due to a high risk of packages getting lost and or stolen)
If you have additional questions that are not listed this page, please fill out the form on our Contact Us page and we will try to contact you within the same business day.